I just made these chocolate hazelnut thumbprint cookies just about now, fresh from the oven, and I’m pretty proud of how they came out. This is my first time to make these bad boys and they look and taste glorious; 😀 not bad to spend an afternoon right?
The recipe I followed is for jam thumbprints really but I decided to switch the jam for chocolate hazelnut spread – just goes to show you, you never go wrong by making something sweet even sweeter.
For something that’s so awesome, these chocolate hazelnut thumbprint cookies are very easy to make – three steps only! Here is the recipe you can actually make by hand, just as I did, then bake them off and surprise your friends and loved ones. No one sane declines from a cookie, I tell you, so go on and try this! You’d be so happy you did. 🙂
Easy Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare cookie sheets. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add egg yolk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
2. Sift the flour directly to the mixture and combine until it forms a soft dough. Don’t over mix. Scoop one tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball. Make the thumbprint on each to hold one teaspoon chocolate hazelnut spread.
3. Place the cookies into the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven and add the chocolate hazelnut to each and return the cookies back to the oven for an additional five minutes. Take them out, cool them in wire racks, and enjoy your awesome chocolate hazelnut thumbprint cookies that only too three easy steps to make!
Note: I use salted butter because unsalted isn’t available here in the jungle. If you do happen to find unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to your flour. Also, you can make traditional jam thumbprints following this same recipe; just substitute the chocolate hazelnut spread for your favorite jam.