Meet my new best friends: the Zeppole or Italian doughnuts. I first saw the recipe on Giada at Home and I wanted to make my own because I found them really cute – really tasty too, now that I’ve made my first batch. The name sounds intimidating but Zeppole is pretty easy to make. Plus, how can you resist the promise of light, sweet, and fluffy Italian doughnuts?😀
This recipe for Italian doughnuts is very basic. You need only butter, sugar, water, salt, flour, and eggs. I served mine rolled in cinnamon sugar for added flair. Cinnamon sugar is just a combination of a couple of handfuls of sugar plus a little sprinkling of cinnamon. You can also dip the Italian doughnuts on melted chocolate or chocolate ganache if you like. Oh my, just thinking about them makes me hungry! I swear you can get Zeppole dreams after this one.
Homemade Zeppole: Quick and Easy Italian Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- oil for frying
1. Combine first four ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil it for 10 seconds then take off from the heat.
2. Stir the flour quickly and mix until it forms a dough. Bring the pan back on the heat for additional two minutes.
3. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk one at a time and stir until incorporated. Continue beating for five minutes until the dough becomes glossy and thick. Keep in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4. Get a saucepan on medium heat and fill it with oil for deep frying. Drop spoonfuls of the Zeppole batter and fry until golden and puffed. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
5. Transfer the cooked Zeppole on paper towels to drain then dunk them in the cinnamon sugar while still hot. Enjoy