Imagine your childhood sweethearts, growing up, acquiring qualities that add depth to their existence, or maybe that which makes them more mysterious, more cunning. That is exactly what these Coffee Kahlua Brownies are like. Updating a much loved classic, the addition of coffee and liquor enhance everything good in the brownie and make it more rich and flavorful.
The proof? I wasn’t able to take a photo of what I made. We devoured them all too quickly. So a word to the wise: follow this recipe next time you bake brownies only when you are ready to fall in love again, faster, and harder this time around.
Coffee and Kahlua Brownie Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1. Melt butter and chocolate in a double-boiler under a very low flame.
2. To the melted butter mixture, add sugar, cocoa powder, and instant coffee powder.
3. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, followed by salt and Kahlua. Put the all-purpose next and mix until just combined.
4. Divide the batter into 3 oz muffin cups using an ice cream scoop and bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 30 minutes. Makes 12.